Converting Cheap Humbuckers into Coil Tap?

Forums Forums Guitar setup and repair lessons and questions Converting Cheap Humbuckers into Coil Tap?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant

As the title reads, I’m curious if this is possible. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 beater that I’d like to add a coil tap to. The pickups have only 2 wires coming from them, but from watching Will’s videos I believe there must be a way. Has anyone tried this?

website: www.pyrael.com, youtube: (Just search for "pyrael" as CD baby has most of my stuff uploaded)

BETA PROJECT
    Participant

If you look up at the pickup (not by the pots) you might find the other wires you need.  You might have to peel back some tape and wax to find what your looking for.  I say rip into that shit and hope you dont ruin the pickup.  But if they are older epiphone pickups they are probly not the best anyways

Steve
    Participant

Cool! I’ll do that. Like I said this is a bolt on neck plywood body Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I bought it back just before the local Media Play went out of business for like $100-$150 WITH a practice amp. It’s not a great guitar, but does exactly the bare minimum of what you would expect from an instrument, it stays in tune, intonation is good, didn’t need a fret job (amazingly), and after replacing the plastic nut, became a decent beater. About the only thing it’s truly lacking is good tuners, which even though they keep in tune, the ratio is pretty bad and they do wobble. So that’s another thing I’m doing to it. But I have to admit, for an 18 year old cheap guitar, it’s done me well. Oh and I recently threw a set of D’Addario NYXL 11’s on it (I regularly tune to D Standard) and was quite impressed with the gain they added. With the old strings (Ernie ball 10’s) I had to raise the pickups  to get enough output. with the NYXLs I had to LOWER the pickups! thought that was interesting.

website: www.pyrael.com, youtube: (Just search for "pyrael" as CD baby has most of my stuff uploaded)

WillsEasyGuitar
    Participant

yes, every coil has 2 wires. when you see a two wire hook up, it means the other two are soldered and taped together more than likely between the two coils. you will have to remove the tape to get to them, then gently de-solder them, then add two new leads from those.

William Gelvin Owner Gelvin Guitars www.gelvinguitars.com
    Wills Easy Guitar PLUS https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCev1lk63kPLGpEsUFW9w6Mg
    Wills Easy Guitar Lite https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSXvUss8W395OT0sz3Q2GA

Steve
    Participant

Awesome Will, thanks Dude!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.